Saturday, January 16, 2010
Hawaiian pizza pasta - TOH
photo by TOH
* 12 Servings
* Prep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
* 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 medium green pepper, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 3 tablespoons canola oil
* 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 3-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
* 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
* 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
* 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
* In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, onion, pepper and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Add the tomato sauce, bay leaves, oregano, basil and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
* Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Discard bay leaves from sauce. Add the pasta, 5 cups of mozzarella cheese, pineapple and ham.
* Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.