Saturday, January 16, 2010
Italian Cabbage Casserole - TOH
picture by TOH
* 6 Servings
* Prep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
* 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely shredded
* 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
* 1 large green pepper, chopped
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
* 3 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
* Place cabbage in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
* In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the beef, green pepper and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
* Place half of the cabbage in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of beef mixture. Repeat layers (dish will be full). Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 223 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 438 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.