Saturday, May 30, 2009

Have I shared with you how much I love this machine?


I love my Viking. This is my third (not because I needed it) in 38 years. I would not have anything BUT a Viking. It sews like a dream! I did not take the lessons offered with the machine when I purchased it because I was working and could not fit it in but now that I have some time off, I have scheduled some time at JoAnns and I am going to refresh and learn some new things! I am so excited as I can do embroidery with this machine and I am going to learn that now! YAHOO!

I started sewing in 2nd grade or before. I learned on an old Singer treadle machine. I don't really remember my mom teaching me but she must have or at least supervised as I pinned the doll patterns on the fabric, cut them out and then sewed away on the machine, pumping that pedal! I remember that machine sitting up on the balcony of the second floor of our Lincoln, Nebraska home. When I took home ec in junior high, I already knew the basics and had no problem learning more. I have made many outfits for my children, including my oldest son who benefited when I bought my first Viking and sewed MANY overalls and t shirts for him in the then ever popular double and single knits! I love the decorative stitches and have used them for years. The second machine I purchased when my first grandbaby was expected and now had the ability of putting my "signature" on my creations. Time, life and a place to sew held me back from sewing for a few years but I am back at it with a vengence and can hardly wait to take the embroidery class! The bread liners would be wonderful with a Letter embroidered on one corner of one side of the fabric and how many cute things can I create for the grands with embroidered goodies! Etsy watch out because I have all kinds of ideas! lol

Editing for meme:

What brand and model do you have? I have the Viking Topaz 30

How long have you had it?

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

Handbags, clothing, home dec projects, embroidery

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

A LOT!

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name? I passionately love my machine. I would have nothing but a Viking!

What features does your machine have that work well for you? What doesn't? I love the bobbin winder, it has a self cut on the thread at the end of your seam, easy to adjust stitches and chose stitches.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why? it is a workhorse. Little maintance. Viking makes quality products.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine? Ease of use, stitches that I will use.

Do you have a dream machine? I think that I do!

No comments: