- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Domino® or C&H® Granulated Pure Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups cooked grits (prepared with butter and salt)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
Directions:In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the corn, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili seasoning, sugar, garlic powder, basil and oregano. Cook and stir until heated through; keep warm.
Spread half of the grits in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon chili powder. Top with beef mixture and cheese. Pipe remaining grits around edge of dish; sprinkle with remaining chili powder.
Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.