Saturday, November 1, 2008

More Holiday Recipes

One of my favorite breads to give at Christmas time is Eggnog Bread. I don't remember where I got the recipe but I know that we love it! Click on the link above for a copy of the recipe. This is another recipe that I always get asked for the recipe! :)

Thinking of giving a basket to a tea lover? Here are ideas for the basket:

Line a basket with a paper doily or a real doily.

Include a tin of a nice loose tea. A tea loaf of bread and some jam. A set of homemade napkins, a teacup, a tea ball, and a jar of lemon sugar for the tea. A small box of special candies, truffles or tea biscuits.


Lemon Sugar
1 C Sugar
1 (.23 0z) pkg unsweetened lemonade flavored soft drink mix (kool aid or similar)

Blend thoroughly and place in a decorative jar.

Play Dough

2 1/2 C flour
1/2 C salt
1 T powdered alum ( Try your local pharmacy)
2 pkg unsweetened kool aid
2 T vegetable oil
2 C boiling water

Mix together flour, salt, alum and drink mix in a large mixing bowl. Add the oil. Pour boiling water over the mixture and stir until well combined. Knead dough until smooth. Store in airtight plastic bags or covered containers. I think the new plastic containers from ball would be great too!


Zesty Red Onion Jelly! Oh my word! I cannot say enough good about this! This is a recipe from one of my Sister friends, Redawna, on the TOH message board. Redawna lives in Canada and she is a very talented woman and a wonderful cook and homemaker. She sent me a jar of this a short while back. IT IS DELICIOUS! You cannot believe how good this is! I served it over an 8 oz brick of cream cheese and crackers on the side. My company loved this. This makes a very nice and unique gift! Great in a basket with other jams and jellies!

Hot Orange Cider Mix

1 C sugar
2 - 6" cinnamon sticks
1 whole nutmeg

Combine sugar, cinnamon sticks and nutmeg. Place in a plastic baggie and seal. Place baggie into a decorated fabric or paper sack for giving. Add these instructions: Place 2 C apple cider and 6 C orange juice in a crockpot. Stir in cider mix and turn crockpot to high for 2 to 3 hours. Removes spices before serving. Add an orange or apple slice to each mug.

Pecan Pie Mini Muffins - need I say more??? Yum!

Macadamia Mini Loaves - another great recipe!

6 comments:

Amber said...

Red onion jelly! Yum!!! I love onions!! Will have to try this!

All of these are great recipes! TFS!!

Trish said...

this stuff all sounds so good. Thanks for sharing with us.

P.S. love the family photos on the right!

Susie said...

Again...great ideas:-)

Mrs. H said...

Ok, not to be a non-drinker, clueless one, but where do you get rum extract for the eggnog bread? Otherwise it sounds intriguing!

HDMac said...

Hi, Mrs. H! LOL.... that is not clueless! Rum Extract can be found in the grocery store with the vanilla extract, almond extract, etc. :)

I have to tell you, years ago I found a recipe for Guiness bread for my then new bread machine. I went to the store to find Guiness and searched and searched the baking aisle. No Guiness! Finally had to ask a worker! LOL! Imagine my surprise when he walked AWAY from the baking aisle to the beer section and pointed out Guiness! lol

Mrs. H said...

In that case... I'll have to try that one out for my eggnogg-drinking hubby! Thanks! :-)