Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day 26 - Declutter Challenge













I read this today in my email from ineedmoretime newletter. This was an inspiration to me.

"I've been getting rid of some clutter -- anything that doesn't serve a positive purpose in my life -- and making room for things that feel happy to me. Because I get to make my life whatever I want it to be. I get to make the room feel however I want it to feel. I get to make the closet as full or as spacious as I want it. And, if I have more clutter to get rid of after Christmas, I'm not going to wait a year or two or three to do it." -Jan Denise (American columnist, author and speaker)



"Anything that doesn't serve a positive purpose in my life...making room for things that feel happy to me." This has probably been said in other ways in our challenge but today this really hit home with me. First of all it helps me in making my choices as to what stays and what goes! Recently, I shared with Marcia that I had a struggle over getting rid of a perfectly good UNUSED juicer! A good thing but I didn't use it. I struggled like the demon on one shoulder and an angel on the other! The juicer is a good thing and COULD be a positive BUT, I don't use it! Will I ever use it? Well, I have had it for 5 years and haven't so what is going to change in the meantime to make me use it? Unless I win the lottery and can quit work, absolutely nothing. So it is NOT a positive and therefore it is out.

I think I am going to print that quote out and laminate it and put it in my planner. I may even make it the cover! A reminder. And it doesn't stop with the physical clutter. A few others have mentioned mental clutter. I need to go thru and get rid of negative thoughts and spend more time filling my mind with positive thoughts which the majority for me come thru the Scriptures.

I still have a pile on my kitchen counter from my decluttering kitchen/laundry closet project. I think that I will be able to get thru more of it tonight because I have just equipped myself with the tool (the quote) to help me make the right choices for me.

6 comments:

Marcia Francois said...

I was going to say...if you REALLY don't know what to do, put it away with a date 3 or 6 months in advance and decide then...

Otherwise, what works for me is donating it to a really worthy cause or someone who will LOVE the thing.

Marcia from Organising Queen

Boondock Ma (Kim's Mom) said...

That is a neat quote. I also like Marcia said in her comment here, about putting it away with a date for the decision.

Ginny said...

I do that, putting things away. I love when I open a box & say "Why did I save that" That is when I can let go, lol. Whatever it takes though, right?

Diane said...

Yes it can be hard to get rid of some things that we think have meaning or are sentimental or worth a bit of money but what you need to think is what is the cost of keeping it. Just as you said it is taking up valuable room that could have something you love and adore instead.
Also Marcia I am slowly learning that you need to have room too. If you organize everything but have no room to grow then when the next new thing comes in boom the whole organizing you have done is blown.
So getting rid of those things that arent of value to us have to go to make room for things I love !!!!!!!
I have really learned a lot from this challenge.

Trish said...

I've been thinking about this too. Stuff that I've been keeping for years may no longer be functional or beautiful, and if it doesn't make your life easier, or happier, there really is no reason to keep it. I think I'm ready to make some of the tougher decisions now, not just getting rid of easy stuff. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Gifts That Say Wow said...

What an inspirational quote.I just finished cleaning my dining room. Everyone went crazy over it. I have a spare room I'm going to tackle..but guess what, It doesn't intimidate me anymore. I know what to do now...I feel so empowered...lol