Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cooking Spray Substitute


I have not tried this yet, but will be soon, as my spray is just about gone! I am trying to be more frugal with our money.


1/2 C vegetable oil or canola oil

1/2 C shortening room temp

1/2 C all purpose flour

Place all in mixing bowl. Beat until it doubles in volume and looks kind of like marshmallow cream. Place in container with lid and store on counter or in cabinet. This mixture has a tendency to want to separate, so just stir it up before using. Use a pastry brush to coat baking sheets or pans. This will not leave a residue like sprays do. Keeps indefinitely. Worth trying that is for sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, thanks for stopping by the site and the comment. I love to check out new sites and glad I came back to yours. The first post caught my eye because I would love to sub. my spray. Truth be told I did try this and use it when my spray runs out but I am having a hard time giving it up. It is so convenient to spray instead of using a brush to ensure all areas are covered. At times I have had stuck bread but that is more use error than the product. I must get more determined. Thanks for the nudge to go back to it.