Friday, July 11, 2008

Cheesy Chicken Pizzaiola Sandwich


I have to give my good friends, Linda, credit for the recipe and Jolene, credit for this picture and review. Linda is one FANTASTIC cook and if she gives me a recipe I can count on it being good! Jolene is my crafting and crocheting friend and she tells us all about this one. I have to share because this is one humdinger of a recipe! This recipe is right up my alley! My kids would love this one too!!!!

Cheesy Chicken Pizzaiola Sandwich

Recipe By :Linda, cllw TOHBB
Serving Size : 6

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/4lb boneless skinless chicken breast -- cooked & shredded
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup yellow onion -- finely chopped (used white onion)
2 garlic cloves -- minced
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce (I used closer to 2c)
1/2 cup dry red wine (I only used about 1/4c, was all I had)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (used garlic salt and omitted salt above)
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (added more to my sandwich)
6 hoagie rolls -- split & toasted
provolone cheese (used shredded mozzarella & shredded parm, romano and asiago blend)
16 spinach leaves -- fresh

In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in oil until soft but not browned. Add tomato sauce, wine, oregano and basil. Season with salt and red pepper flakes, adding more to taste, if you wish. Lower heat and simmer mixture for 30 minutes. Add garlic powder and shredded, cooked chicken to the tomato sauce; simmer together for 15 to 60 minutes, as desired (cover mixture if it begins to become too thick). Assemble sandwiches: spoon the chicken mixture on 4 toasted hoagie roll bottoms and place 2 provolone cheese slices on the top portion of each sandwich. Place open-faced sandwiches on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven until cheese melts (or broil if you like browned cheese). Place 4 spinach leaves on each sandwich, put together, and serve hot.

Notes: Prepare the chicken mixture a day ahead and put the sandwiches together quickly the next day for a quick supper. The spinach adds a little crunch and extra nutrients.

Jolene's comments: I didn't have any cooked chicken around, so I boiled my chicken in stock/water to cover for about 30 mins and then shredded it. Even Jake ate half a good-sized sandwich, and normally it's a fight to get him to eat anything with sauce on it. This would be great open faced on texas toast, in sub rolls, or even without bread at all! Tim described it as pulled chicken parm on a roll.

1 comment:

Boondock Ma (Kim's Mom) said...

Man! that looks good! Think I'd add more spinach though, but I'm really into spinach these days ;-) Thanks for sharing!