Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Crockpot Chicken Sandwiches


Did you ever make something that you said to yourself afterwards, "This is so good and simple! Why didn't I think of this?" Well, this is one of those recipes that you will make again and again. This recipe comes from another friend and great cook on the TOHBB - KateMarie. She is someone else that I know if she says it is good, I will agree. I now make this one a lot and everyone loves it!

Crockpot Chicken Sandwiches

Source: KateMarie - TOHBB

4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed

4 bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 cup bottled Italian salad dressing
1/4 cup water
12 hamburger buns


Place chicken pieces in crock pot. Sprinkle the garlic salt and onion soup mix over the chicken.
Pour salad dressing and water over the chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Remove chicken and cool slightly.
Shred chicken from the bones and return meat to crock pot.
Serve on hamburger buns.

I have used all breasts and it still works. I think it is best with a combination of both thighs and breasts, though. I also have used boneless skinless and that is just fine also. Use different Italian dressings and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I used a red zin italian once and that was wonderful. Unfortunately I have not found that dressing again! lol I have a bottle of raspberry vinigrette that I want to try with this next time. Sound good? I serve this on a bun with a dab of mayo and a slice of tomato. My daughter likes to add cheese to it. (my kids love cheese on everything!) With only two of this you can imagine that when I make it for just us I have lots of leftovers. I have made casseroles that call for chicken and tacos with the leftovers and I freeze it successfully also. Try it and I think you will be adding it to your "regulars." Good for those days when you are on the run with the kids to games, shopping, errands. Thanks again to my friend, Kate for a wonderful recipe!

1 comment:

krisijo said...

We love this!!!!!